· Serving in 2nd full term.
· In 1996, he was first elected as the state’s
32nd U.S. Senator, filling out the unexpired
portion of Sen. Bob Dole's term.
· He was later elected to a full six-year term in
1998 and was reelected to a second six-year
term in November 2004.
· Appropriations (DC Subcmte. Chairman)
· Judiciary (Constitution, Civil Rights & Property Rights Subcmte.
· Chairman of the Helsinki Commission
· Joint Economic
· U.S. House, 1995-96, represented the second district of Kansas.
· White House Fellow for one year in the Office of the U.S. Trade
· Kansas Secretary of Agriculture, 1986-93; youngest Secretary of
Agriculture in Kansas state history in 1986.
· Worked as a radio broadcaster & teacher.
· Kansas State University student body President.
· In high school, he served as State President and as a national
officer of the Future Farmers of America.
· B.S. (agricultural economics), Kansas State University
· JD, University of Kansas
· Hometown: Topeka, KS; Born: Garnett, KS; grew up on the family
farm near Parker, Kansas, where his family still farms.
· Family: Wife, Mary Brownback; five children
More about Sam Brownback