Leone Reaves and George W. Spicer Professor, Woodrow Wilson
Department of Government and Foreign Affairs
· University of Virginia (Professor, 1989-1996; Associate Professor, 1983-1988; Assistant Professor, 1979-1983; Graduate Advisor, 1983-1985 and 1989-1992).
· Fulbright Chair for Senior Scholars, Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy (1999).
· Fulbright Researcher, Tokyo and Kyoto, Japan (Summers, 1993 & 1994).
· Fulbright Lecturer and Visiting Professorial Fellow in Constitutional Studies, Nuffield College, Oxford University, Oxford, England (1987-1988).
· Research Associate, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the United States (part time 1983-1984).
· Judicial Fellow, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Chief Justice, Supreme Court of the United States (1982-1983).
· Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow, Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY (1981-1982).
· Assistant Professor, Department of Politics, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington (1977-1979 and Chair, 1978-1979).
· Lecturer, Dept. of Political Science, Univ. of California (Santa Barbara) (1976-1977).
Ph.D. (1977), M.A. (1974), B.A. (1973) (philosophy and political science, highest honors), University of California (Santa Barbara)
Married; Three children
· Animal Sacrifice & Religious Freedom: Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah
· Government by the People, 19th, 20th, and 21st editions, with James MacGregor Burns, J.W. Peltason, Thomas Cronin, David B. Magleby and Paul Light
· Judicial Independence in the Age of Democracy: Critical Perspectives from Around the World, edited with Peter Russell
· Storm Center: The Supreme Court in American Politics
· Constitutional Law and Politics (Volume 1): Struggles for Power and Governmental Accountability
· Constitutional Law and Politics (Volume 2): Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
· Supreme Court Watch
· The Lanahan Readings in Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, editor
· Judges on Judging, editor
· To Dream of Dreams: Religious Freedom and Constitutional Politics in Postwar Japan, with Yasuo Ohkoshi
· The Politics of American Government, co-author with Stephen Wayne, G. Calvin MacKinzie, and Richard Cole
· Abortion and American Politics, co-author with Barbara Craig
· Judicial Roulette: A Twentieth Century Fund Task Force Report on Judicial Appointments
· What Process Is Due? Courts and Science-Policy Disputes
· Views from the Bench: The Judiciary and Constitutional Politics, co-editor with Mark Cannon and author of introductory essays, with a Foreword by Chief Justice Warren E. Burger
· Law and Public Affairs, Special Issue, co-editor
· The Politics of Technology Assessment: Institutions, Processes and Policy Disputes, co-author/editor with Donald Marchand
· The Public's Right to Know: The Supreme Court and the First Amendment
· Privacy, Law, and Public Policy
More about David O'Brien